Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Latest News

Cristiano Ronaldo's Al-Nassr debut could be delayed as club exceed foreign player quota

Al-Nassr must offload one of their foreign players to register Cristiano Ronaldo

Ronaldo’s cursed debut at Al-Nassr gets even MORE bizarre: Now his debut could be delayed because the club has too many FOREIGNERS – following his press conference gaffe, two match bans and the cancellation of the first match !

Cristiano Ronaldo’s bizarre start to life at Al-Nassr continued as it emerged his debut could be further delayed as the Saudi club reportedly exceeded their quota of foreign players.

Doubts had surfaced over Ronaldo’s ability to make his first appearance for his new side in Thursday’s game against Al Tai due to his two-game ban for breaking an Everton fan’s phone, before the match was postponed for 24 hours after heavy rain. the floor suffers from electrical problems.

Sportsmail then revealed that Al-Nassr were planning to face the Portuguese superstar in defiance of the suspension, which still applies under FIFA rules even though it was administered by the English FA.

The Saudi club has nine foreign players, one more than allowed by the Pro League

The Saudi club has nine foreign players, one more than allowed by the Pro League

It remains unclear when Ronaldo will be able to play for Al-Nassr after sealing his £175m-a-year transfer as the club were unable to register the star having exceeded their foreign player quota.

The 37-year-old is Al-Nassr’s ninth import from abroad and club sources have told AFP negotiations are underway to sell a current member of the squad to meet the cap. eight set by the Saudi Pro League.

“Al Nassr has not registered him yet because there is no vacancy for a foreign player,” an anonymous Al Nassr official told AFP.

“A foreign player must leave to save Ronaldo, either by selling or terminating the contract by mutual agreement.”

Heavy rain caused electrical problems at Al-Nassr Stadium, postponing today's game

Heavy rain caused electrical problems at Al-Nassr Stadium, postponing today’s game

Cameroonian star Vincent Aboubakar, former Arsenal goalkeeper David Ospina and former Brazil international Luiz Gustavo are among Al-Nassr’s legion of foreign stars.

Related:  Ministers yet to appoint any of 12 'levelling up' tsars despite applications closing SIX MONTHS ago

The squad also includes former Argentina international Pity Martinez, Ivory Coast’s Ghislain Konan, Spain’s Alvaro Gonzalez, Brazilian midfielder Talisca and Uzbekistan’s Jaloliddin Masharipov.

Masharipov would be the most likely player to leave the club to make way for Ronaldo.

Thousands of fans are expected to witness Ronaldo's highly anticipated debut for Al-Nassr

Thousands of fans are expected to witness Ronaldo’s highly anticipated debut for Al-Nassr

The inability to save Ronaldo and the cancellation of today’s match add to Al-Nassr’s embarrassment.

The Saudi Pro League side have spent more than £400m to secure Ronaldo’s services for the next two and a half years, with the 37-year-old signing a £173m-a-year deal.

Ronaldo’s expected debut had already been thrown into doubt due to the FA’s two-game ban, handed down to him when he was a Manchester United player and has yet to serve.

The star was banned in November for snatching a phone from an Everton fan during a game last season.

Al-Nassr did not reveal whether he would abide by the ban.

Ronaldo also made a bizarre faux pas during his unveiling on Tuesday, when he described a move to South Africa, rather than Saudi Arabia.

Video footage released on social media shows Ronaldo saying: “Football is different, so for me it’s not the end of my career to come to South Africa.” That’s why I want to change, and to be honest, I’m really not worried about what people say.

Ronaldo had also claimed he had “many opportunities” to join European and South American clubs before signing the mega-money deal before stating that “the contract is unique but I am a unique player”.

His signing for Al-Nassr follows the termination of his contract with Manchester United in November after his controversial TV interview with Piers Morgan.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Business

If range anxiety is putting you off the idea of owning an electric vehicle, pause for thought for one married couple planning to embark...

Business

When the government announced help with household energy bills last year, businesses were initially left without support, despite higher costs. Following backlash from the...

Business

Base rate bounce: Chase, Tandem and Newcastle BS raise easy-to-access savings rates following Bank of England hike Tandem Increases Instant Access Savings Rate to...

Business

Victoria Scholar of Interactive Investor explains why the FTSE 250 could outperform the FTSE 100 in 2023 Victoria Scholar is Head of Investments at...