Republicans claim President Joe Biden was involved in his son Hunter’s controversial foreign trade deals, which would span 50 different countries, lawmakers said at a press conference Thursday.
It comes a day after the GOP won 218 seats in the House of Representatives, cementing its majority — and its investigative powers — in the next Congress.
The president has long denied any involvement and knowledge of his son’s foreign affairs – some of which are being investigated by federal authorities.
But Rep. James Comer accused Biden of being the “chairman of the board” of his family’s business dealings and even claimed the White House spent more than $250,000 to deflect negative stories about Hunter.
“This is an investigation into Joe Biden,” he said. “I think we’ve presented the evidence of why we think it’s important, and we’re going to move forward with that.”
He later said, “We’re trying to stay focused on – was Joe Biden directly involved in Hunter Biden’s trade deals, and is he compromised?”
Comer said he would even like members of the Biden family to testify in front of the House when asked, but said the primary focus of their investigation at this time is to access bank records.
“As part of our investigation, we have evidence that Hunter and Joe Biden’s finances, credit cards and bank accounts have been mixed, if not shared,” the Republican lawmaker said.
“One of Hunter’s closest associates, Eric Schwerin, was accessing Joe Biden’s money and writing checks to reimburse Hunter.”
Hunter Biden’s business dealings are the subject of the first investigation announced by the House GOP into the party’s new majority in the lower house of Congress
Rep. James Comer led the press conference, where he made it clear that the president himself was the target of the House GOP investigation.
He said some accounts linked to the Biden family had raised “red flags” regarding “suspicious or illegal activity.”
At least one of those red flags, known as ‘SARs,’ would “link Hunter Biden and his business associates to international human trafficking, among other illegal activities,” Comer said.
“We have repeatedly asked Biden’s Treasury Department to release additional financial documents to Republicans on the committee, but so far Treasury has refused,” the lawmaker said. “We want to know what the Biden administration tried to hide from the American people and why they are not being transparent.”
Hunter’s ally Schwerin reportedly ran the president’s son’s business and handed over the majority of his finances – and was named to a post in the Obama administration, when Joe Biden was vice -President.
“After an apparent falling out with Schwerin, Hunter began to coordinate matters himself — and increasingly the deals brought in Joe Biden as a direct shareholder,” Comer said.
He claimed Hunter went further and tried to have those bank alerts canceled – allegedly with the help of a Clinton administration official.
‘JOE WAS THE BIG GUY’: HOME REPUBLICAN ALLEGATIONS AGAINST THE BIDEN FAMILY
- Business plans targeting targets around the world based on influence peddling, including with people closely linked to foreign governments like China and Russia
- Plans based in the United States where the Biden family defrauded investors of hundreds of thousands of dollars. All with the participation or knowledge of Joe Biden
- Whistleblowers describe President Biden as the “chairman of the board” of these companies. He personally participated in meetings and phone calls.
- The Biden family has sought cases in 50 countries. On the international side of the Biden family business, transactions were often led by Hunter Biden
- Among the dozens of shell companies the Bidens created were millions of dollars in wire transfers, flights on Air Force Two to conduct personal business, and meetings with heads of state while Joe Biden was in the know. of what was going on.
- The Biden family has racked up over 150 SARs. SAR generated by U.S. bank at Treasury Department links Hunter Biden and his business associates to international human trafficking, among other illegal activities
- Evidence that Hunter Biden sought to evade these SARs, using his financial adviser, coincidentally a former Clinton administration official
- One of Hunter’s closest associates, Eric Schwerin, was accessing Joe Biden’s money and writing checks to reimburse Hunter. Schwerin organized Biden’s international deals around the world while a frequent visitor to the Biden White House
- One of these deals involved the sale of US natural gas to China. Evidence suggests Joe Biden held a 10% stake in secret through his son
- Domestically, Jim Biden – Joe Biden’s brother – used the Biden name to get rich in exchange for promising that when Joe Biden becomes president in 2020, business partners would get rich with access to a future administration Biden.
Biden’s brother Jack (right) is also believed to be involved in Hunter’s vast network of foreign business ties, according to emails obtained from Hunter’s laptop.
Comer defended their intense investigation of Hunter Biden at the press conference, saying: ”Hunter Biden is not that guy who just got a bad reputation because he has a drug problem”
Comer also took a look at more holistic coverage of The President’s Son that puts Hunter’s questionable ethics in context with his struggle with drug addiction.
“Hunter Biden is not that guy who just got a bad reputation because he has a drug problem,” Comer said.
The lawmakers said a report detailing their investigation and the evidence so far – which appears to be largely made up of whistleblower testimony – would be released.
The disturbing extent of Hunter’s business dealings in Ukraine and China came to light when the New York Post and later DailyMail.com authenticated the contents of a laptop hard drive allegedly belonging to the president’s only surviving son.
He received a lucrative salary while serving on the board of directors of Ukrainian energy company Burisma, although he had no experience in the industry, while his father was vice president and ran a coalition to crack down on corruption there.
Emails recovered from the laptop also show Hunter chatting with associates about the start of a business deal in China – where a message discussing equity stakes takes 10% “for the big guy”.
This is the first survey announced by House Republicans with their new congressional majority.
Republicans alleged on Thursday that “the big guy” was the US president.
“At a time when Americans are suffering from high energy prices, because of this administration’s terrible energy policy, we find evidence that Hunter Biden and Joe Biden were involved in a scheme to try to get China to buy liquefied natural gas, and a whistleblower, to try to get a foot in the door with China starting to buy a stake in natural gas drillers,” Comer said.
He presented as evidence a printed copy of what he claimed was a slide show regarding the business deal that was found on Hunter’s laptop.
When pressed, however, Comer said the slide was likely from around 2017.
The Kentucky Republican didn’t say concretely how this relates to the current energy crisis when asked, but said, “I mean, Joe Biden says he’s going to stand up to China.”
‘Joe Biden says he’s going to rewrite our whole energy policy… And he was a 10% shareholder in a company whose only mission was to buy liquefied natural gas from the United States and try to take over the natural gas energy industry in America through natural gas wholesalers and natural gas drillers,” Comer said.
“I mean, I don’t think Joe Biden was honest Americans about it.”
It’s worth noting that it’s unclear if the deal was ever finalized.