Prince Andrew was reportedly furious after being told by government ministers that his £3m-a-year armed police guards were to be cut from December following the Jeffrey Epstein scandal.
As an active Prince Royal, Prince Andrew was entitled to a taxpayer-funded security service of armed police who accompanied him on all his visits outside Windsor, Berkshire.
But the decision to strip the prince of official duties in January signaled he was not expected to return as a senior royal, and the latest decision confirms Andrew faces a much tougher stance on the matter with Charles than with the Queen.
This follows the emergence of details of his friendship with pedophile Jeffrey Epstein, as well as the disastrous Newsnight interview in which he denied sexually assaulting Virginia Giuffre.
Prince Andrew (right) is believed to be furious with the decision and is set to complain to the Home Office
This follows her withdrawal from public life in 2019 as Virginia Giuffre allegations came to light, along with details of her friendship with pedophile Jeffrey Epstein.
The annual cost of the Prince’s armed security to the taxpayer’s budget is estimated to be around £3million.
But Andrew is understood to be complaining about the decision to Met Police and the Home Office, after the move means he would have to do without armed security or fund it privately.
A source told The Sun on Sunday: ‘He will write to the Home Office and the Met Police complaining about the loss of his taxpayer funded security.
The move comes after the disgraced royal was stripped of all official duties by his late mother, Queen Elizabeth II, in January.
Prince Andrew resigned from public life in 2019 over his friendship with billionaire pedophile Jeffrey Epstein.
He was stripped of his honorary military duties, including that of Colonel of the Grenadier Guards, last January and was forced to abandon his HRH style in public.
Epstein, who lured hundreds of vulnerable young girls into his sex trafficking ring over a 30-year period with the help of British socialite Ghislane Maxwell, was close friends with the Duke and even stayed at his New York home .
During his disastrous Newsnight interview, Andrew recounted how he was introduced to Epstein in 1999 by the pedophile’s ex-girlfriend, Ghislaine Maxwell.
The duke said he would see Epstein up to three times a year.
Prince Andrew will now lose his armed police guards, costing the taxpayer £3million a year
He admitted he hosted him and Maxwell at Sandringham in December 2000 for “a simple shooting weekend”, and stayed at Epstein’s New York mansion in 2010 when he slept there. had returned to cut ties with the pedophile.
Epstein killed himself in a New York prison in 2019 before he could stand trial for sex trafficking.
Maxwell was jailed in June for 20 years for procuring teenage girls for Epstein.
Andrew, 62, this year lost his bid to dismiss a civil lawsuit in America brought by former Epstein ‘sex slave’ Virginia Giuffre, who claimed she was forced to have sex sex with the duke.
The Duke vehemently denied her claims but, at the time, Buckingham Palace said the decision to strip Andrew of his titles was made by the late Queen.
This was supposed to be strongly advocated by the then Prince of Wales, Charles, and Prince William.
Andrew (left) is believed to have been ‘dressed’ by his older brother Charles (right) days before their mother died
The Duke settled the civil case in February for £12million without accepting liability, and had believed it would allow him to return to royal duties.
But the decision to withdraw his police security is the latest sign that King Charles must take a tough stance against Andrew’s demands.
It was widely reported that the disgraced royal had pressured his late mother for a return to royal life, and earlier this month it was revealed he was to be ‘dressed’ by Charles days before the death of his mother.
Charles had been told by the Queen’s senior staff that Andrew’s ‘persistent lobbying’ of the ailing monarch to restore him as a ‘working royal’ was ‘taking its toll’, a source told the Daily Mail’s Ephraim Hardcastle column.
At the meeting at his Birkhall estate in Scotland, the future king made it clear to Andrew that he would never return to royal duties.
Charles also remarked to his brother that if he was ever reinstated in his position, it would be difficult to find a charity that would want him as a patron.
A senior Labor MP said last night: ‘He doesn’t seem to understand he’s out of favor and people don’t want to hear about him anymore – especially him with his begging bowl.’
“I know he has a title, but that doesn’t mean he’s entitled to taxpayer-funded protection. I know families who are unsure if they will be able to afford their children’s Christmas presents this year.
A source previously told the Daily Mail: ‘As naive as it may seem, he always had hopes of returning to his position as a senior Royal.
“At the meeting, Charles told her he could go and have a good life, a good life, but his public life as a Royal was coming to an end. He was told, ‘You have to accept that’ .
Representatives for Prince Andrew declined to comment.